Best Google Chrome Extensions to protect your PC and Privacy.
Top Google Chrome Extensions for Security and Privacy for 2019.
Praxis Technologies uses all browsers, though we prefer to use Google Chrome to monitor the habits of the largest Search Engine Company, log its behavior to better understand how searches react, as well as to see how our website submission results are listed. After learning our own research has indeed secured our computers, our data, and our privacy, we feel obligated to share.
Updated: September 10, 2019
You can click the Google Chrome logo to the left to download the Google Chrome Browser. We will be adding “Extensions” to Google Chrome to add security, remove pop-up advertisements, and remove suspect tracking of your browser history and related information. Now, new for 2019 Praxis Technologies will help you block malware that uses your PC processor power to mine for cryptocurrency with a new Google Chrome cryptomining extension blocker.
The Google Chrome Extension download repository is listed here should you wish to search for more options after reading the Praxis Technologies recommendations below. Visit the CHROME WEBSTORE.
To reach your stored “Extensions” in Google Chrome, you can click the sandwich menu: then, hover over “More Tools”. You will see the menu expand and then click on “Extensions”.
#1 Ranked Best Google Chrome Privacy Extension | Adblock
Adblock is a web standard for ridding your browser of suspect advertisements throughout the webpage body, sidebar, top and bottom. It will remove static ads and some pop up advertisements as well. Adblock is supported by most browsers including our preferred browser, Google Chrome.
- “Right Click”the Adblock icon in the Chrome Bar.
- Click “Options” to bring up the menu shown below.
- Uncheck “Allow some nonintrusive advertising.” This will prevent all adds possible.
#2 Ranked Best Google Chrome Privacy Extension | Adblock Plus
Yes, you may say, we have Adblock, why do we need Adblock Plus as well? There is a very simple reason, what one doesn’t catch the other one will. There is a reason these are the two largest and most known Adblock extensions, so why not install both. They work well together from our own personal experience.
Like some extensions, Adblock Plus does need a tweak to have it be at its most secure. Once Adblock Plus is installed, you should see a mini Adblock Plus icon in your Chrome dashbar like this.
- Right Click the ABP icon in your dashbar and click on “Options”.
- This will show a new page with the ability to uncheck “Allow Acceptable Ads”.
- You want to uncheck this box to show as minimal ads as possible assuring your clicks only take you where you want to go.
#3 Ranked Best Google Chrome Privacy Extension | Disconnect
Disconnect. Secure your identity, keep your information safe, and Disconnect says it even speeds up your browser. Less tracking cookies downloading and loading makes sense to speed up your browser. We do trust this plugin as we have followed them since their launch. This development team has worked in Google, Microsoft and Yahoo. They know how your PC is tracked and how to avoid it and the accompanying cookies. No setup after installation is necessary making it an easy tool to use.
#1 Ranked Best Google Chrome Security Extension | JustBlock Security
JustBlock Security. It always helps to add a layer of security to your Browser. JustBlock Security sets up prevention intrusion and stops malicious malware downloads while visiting compromised websites. JustBlock Security is an excellent free Google Chrome Extension with options that will be very effective to protect your PC.
Once you have installed the JustBlock Security extension for Google Chrome, there are a few bells and whistles we must implement to give your computer the security edge it needs.
- In the top bar of Google Chrome you should now see a red JustBlock Security shield icon.
- Right Click the red JustBlock Security shield icon
- Click “Options” from the popup menu
Now, we will select the options I checked in red on the illustration. The options to select are:
- Block Malicious Download
- Block Ads
- Block Cryptocurrency Mining
- Block Email Trackers
- Block Notifications
- Block Shadow Clicks
If you wish, it can only help to activate all features of JustBlock Security. It just may slow down your browser some. The options Praxis Technologies recommends cover areas that the above Chrome Extensions do not so there is less overlap of duplicate process. The upside to JustBlock Security is that is offers an advanced firewall that will protect your PC from unwanted downloads and possible malicious injections as well as from the cryptocurrency mining that would compromise your security as well as overheat thus shortening its lifespan.
#2 Ranked Best Google Chrome Security Extension | AdGuard AdBlocker
We have found AdGuard AdBlocker to be one of the more consistent and excellent secondary ad blockers to have installed. It picks up some of the advertisements that others do not. And, we have the ability to turn it on and off simply using a switch in the browser. Its a nice, clean add-on that actually works well.
Sometimes AdGuard AdBlocker even works too well and we have found it can interfere with bank websites propagating when turned on. So, one good feature is that AdGuard offers website by website settings so that it will remember your preferences once you have visited a website.
#3 Ranked Best Google Chrome Security Extension | Fair Adblocker
A new additional threat for 2019 is the now ever present invisible “overlay” advertisement. When clicking on a website page, a clear layer is placed over top the website that when a visitor tries to click a link, the overlay advertisement redirects the click to a different website with ads that earns the website owner advertising fees.
Overlay advertisements on websites are a pure nuisance that visitors do not deserve. After testing over 20 plugins to stop the overlay popup advertisement issue, we found finally Fair Adblocker. Praxis Technologies recommends you install Fair Adblocker from the Google Chrome web store. We found this plugin so useful we added it as our first recommendation for browser security for 2019.
Click the links here to be redirected to the Google web store for extensions. The links will take you to the Fair Adblocker Google Chrome page where once you install the extensions, no further setup is necessary. This is an easy fix for a pest of an issue.
#4 Ranked Best Google Chrome Security Extension | Norton 360 with LifeLock
Norton 360 Premium has been our go to protection recommendation for personal systems and for small offices of up to 10 Devices including Windows And Apple Desktops, laptops, and Android or iOS devices. Norton active security scanner picks up malware injections, dangerous tracking cookies and malicious code, in your Browser, and before reaching your hard drive as it is deleted at detection. Norton includes Google Chrome Extensions and OS additions including:
- Norton VPN | A virtual private network is an ultimate security addition to meet your modern threat prevention needs. Your IP address will be based in your Country of origin or one of your preference and will never reveal your actual IP address. This help prevent targeted attacks. The Norton VPN software also detects and blocks unwanted advertisements and threats. Norton VPN also adds bank level encryption to keep your passwords and bank details secure.
- Norton Safe Web is available to protect your searches from being hijacked and redirected to dangerous websites. Malware is blocked before it can be a threat.
- Norton Safe Search is a Ask.com secured search. Norton Safe Search rankings are results based upon a site safety ranking and a proprietary Norton rating.
- Norton Password Manager is a an easy to use password manager for Google Chrome. It will assure the security of your personal data and your credit card information, which will be safely stored in your browser.
- Norton Home Page creates a landing page when you open your browser. Norton Home Page allows you to see a website safety status rankings. It also shows site safety rankings of frequently visited websites all in one page.
- LifeLock is now included to better scan the threats and info on the web, and the dark web, to detect if you information has been stolen and or sold. LifeLock includes up to $25K in coverage with the base level Norton 360with LifeLock Select subscription and up to $1 Million in coverage with a Norton 360 with LifeLock Ultimate Plus subscription.
Norton works well with Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge. No setup is necessary after install, which is a great feature for an otherwise complex task. Norton has added bundled tools like automated backup and as much as 75GB of secure Cloud Storage.
- On 11/03/2016